Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How To Take Back Your Flag




As it turns out, taking the flag back is pretty easy. Just say what you want and put the flag next to it. Voila! Your simple protest instantly becomes a Patriotic Display!

I'm not one to normally stand on ceremony, but I've got to admit that having the flag along really makes this job a lot less stressful. With Old Glory by my side, that long and sometimes scary walk onto the overpass doesn't feel quite so lonely, and I find myself moving more slowly and confidently. My heart doesn't beat nearly as fast, but it feels like it's beating stronger.

Thanks to the economic miracle of cheap foreign labor, American flags have never been more affordable! All these flags came to a total of fourteen dollars at the 99 Cent store!

Here's how they look when combined with cardboard, paint and an overhead projector.


And here's how they look on the road...


I put over a dozen of these along 50 miles of the 101 yesterday afternoon. Like the flags that went up after September 11th, I think they improve the scenery: they make the country look more patriotic. Not only that, I think signs like these help clarify things for the tens of thousands of motorists who saw them: that free speech is a patriotic act - as American as Apple Pie - and that Impeaching the President isn't a partisan issue. Not this time it isn't.

Impeachment is what the founding fathers gave to save this country from precisely the sort of situation we're in now, and Free Speech is what they gave us - The People - to make it happen.

Like I said, it can be a long and scary walk out to that fence or onto that overpass, and it's good to see more and more of us taking it. To those of you who read this blog and are still waiting to take that walk, trust me: it's a lot easier with Old Glory.

USA - 869
FB - 651

12 comments:

twoluvcats said...

beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love all you freeway bloggers. This flag idea is great!

Anonymous said...

You do get around! Kudos.

Psychomikeo said...

I must admit it does look good.

Annie said...

hang it upside down

Scorpio said...

Especially good in that ripping down a sign will be, simultaneously, ripping down a flag -- maybe someone will have to *think* about it for a bit.

Anonymous said...

The flag also helps draw your eye to the sign. Mere letters and words are more easily ignored.

WeezieLou said...

powerful, powerful, powerful. thanks for all your hard work!!!

peter said...

dear scarlet,

flag day is coming!

peace, peter

Anonymous said...

Your efforts are courageous and extremely patriotic. The real American spirit is blossoming once again all over these lands of Liberty.

IMPEACH THE THIEVES

Anonymous said...

Paraphrasing Cheney, wrap the Bushists' heads with the flag and IMPEACH 'EM for old gory!

Unknown said...

you are truly inspiring!
I will be featuring you on a special squidoo lens as a part of my own peace project.

I will hold you in my prayers and envision your efforts having great impact! Together we will bring about a paradigm shift in consciousness.

Let me know what other ways I can be of support to you.

cris delgado
oneworldforpeace@gmail.com