Sunday, May 13, 2007

And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda...

...In nineteen fifteen my country said 'Son,
It's time to stop rambling 'cause there's work to be done.'
So they gave me a tin hat and they gave me a gun,
And they sent me away to the war....

How well I remember that terrible day...
How the blood stained the sand and the water.
And how in that hell that they called Suvla Bay
We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter...

But the band played Waltzing Matilda
As we stopped to bury our slain.
We buried ours and the Turks buried theirs...
Then we started all over again.
Those that were left, well we tried to survive
In a mad world of blood, death and fire.
And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive
While around me the corpses piled higher...

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over tit
And when I woke up in my hospital bed
And saw what it had done,
Christ I wished I was dead...
Never knew there were worse things than dying...

USA - 856
FB - 630

No comments: