Thursday, April 12, 2007

Warrior

"If every American did a small fraction of what she does every day, we would actually have peace by the end of this month."

I was going through this piece in Truthout about the unsung heroes of the peace movement, and found myself reading about my good friend Barbara. Not only is she everything the article says she is, she's a hell of a good freewayblogger too: one of our best. Along with Beachblogger, she's put up hundreds - and I do mean hundreds - of signs along the Interstates in San Diego.

Her modus operandi is the same as mine: paint up twenty signs or so, stick them in the car and go for a drive. Like me she blogs during the day, keeping mostly to peripheral fencing, striking quickly and often. Though most freewaybloggers prefer working at night, hardcore types like Barbara and me know that daytime's really the way to go... just drive around with a bunch of signs and a camera, hitting the usual spots and checking out new ones. It's really quite pleasant, actually, and after a couple of hours of doing you can go home knowing a hundred thousand people saw the word "Impeach" instead of just fencing.

Barbara is a remarkable woman, no doubt about it, and truly one of the hardest working we've got in the peace movement. But she'd be the first to tell you that freewayblogging isn't part of that work: Freewayblogging is how she unwinds.

10 comments:

Psychomikeo said...

Thanx Barbara! I love my shirt!

frankoanderson said...

I had the honor of meeting Barbara last year at Camp Democracy (DC) and this year when I picked her up from the airport before the March 17 protest.
You know that "Impeach Bush" shirt she's wearing in the picture? She wears one EVERY DAY. That's commitment! She gave me two shirts and a rubber Impeach stamp to use on money. Now I don't mind spending my cash!

Anonymous said...

Barbara is true blue. What is written is accurate!

We who know her love her and her passion.

Judy H

Psychomikeo said...

Where can I get that Impeachment stamp?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all that you do.

Petalumadeadhead said...

I need one of those stamps too!

Anonymous said...

Thank you all for your very kind words, you too Scarlet!

I have the stamps, contact me through Scarlet. Just picked up a batch today!

barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara, this is Mary from Women in Black LA. I just joined the group. You told Greta and me all about your freeway blogging when we were at Cindy's camp last year, and we were inspired by what you said. We're getting ready to launch.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary and Greta

I remember you guys well! I'm glad you are going to join us in posting. It really is loads of fun. You can contact me through Scarlet or Ann if you need anything.

bc

Anonymous said...

What if one does NOT live near a freeway? You know there are parts of the country that don't have them, thank god!
peace...