Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Arsenal of Democracy: Cardboard


Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.
Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal.

Remember this scene from "The Graduate" and you'll know how I feel about cardboard. If I can accomplish just one thing in my lifetime, I want it to be having turned as many people as I possibly could on to the simple power of cardboard and paint.

When you paint a sign and put it up in public, people will read it until one of them takes it down. That's a fact. The more you think about what you say, the more people will think about what they've read. The more you think about where you put it, the more people will read it.

I put signs on freeways because I feel it's mny right - because that's where all the flags went up after September 11th, and because that's where all the people are. You don't have to use the freeways: you can use the parks, the libraries or the town square. The ability to post free political opinion on public property is not only your right, it's one of the most protected rights you've got.

Unlike the traditional mediums of butcher paper or bedsheets, cardboard is easy to paint, easy to post and holds its shape and legibility through all kinds of weather.


Painting and posting signs is not only a highly efficient way to express your political beliefs, it's also a hell of a lot of fun.

FB - 407
USA - 135

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work my man

HUTCH IS ON said...

Hello FWB, SR and Everyone,

Our site ImpeachThem.com is dedicated to getting rid of the Bush gang. We're the North Jersey Impeach Group and we developed a coalition to introduce and PASS A Resolution to Impeach Bush-Cheney in our state's legislature. Please join us --

More, we want to engage in Free Way Blogging. Some time ago I saw a "how to video" but lost sight of it. Can you send me a video outlining the basics, that I can download to post on our web site and show to your group's 138 members?

As you know, Jersey's highways have huge volume, but there's also a virulent right wing here that's aggressive in removing the good stuff. We need to learn the best ways to put 'em up.

Thanks for all your great work. I hope you or somebody will contact HUTCH.
Thanks again.

Psychomikeo said...

I think you need a break so "we" can catch up to you...