Monday, June 11, 2007

Don't Buy Water From Fiji

I spend a lot of time on the road, and one thing I know for a fact it's that every gas station, convenience and grocery store in California has water in it from Fiji. I used to think that was kind of cool, now I just think what the fuck? We need to start drinking our own water now, and let the Fijians keep theirs. There's no excuse for shipping water over here from Fiji. None.

These days it's hard to tell which is the Biggest Lie being foisted on us as a society, but one of them has to be that "consumer choice" is in any way connected to the notion of "Freedom". Buying stuff isn't freedom, getting rid of it is.

5 comments:

PTCruiser said...

You made me snort my Kirkland water out through my nose, which comes from natural springs in Costcoland, Aisle #12.

Anonymous said...

Bottled water is a SCAM. It's a largely unregulated industry (in Canada) and the plastic used in the bottles sold in supermarkets and corner stores is not "food safe". I heard a leading public health water expert in Canada cautioning people against buying bottled water, including water sold in those big plastic water cooler jugs. She says the tests of the plastics have turned up contaminants including harmful bacteria that breed in the jugs (when they aren't cleaned properly). The plastic used in bottled water that is for sale in stores and supermarkets is not foodsafe, which means the chemicals and hormones in the plastic leech into the water. The lack of regulation means the water can be from anywhere, including your neighbour's tap. Bottling water is also unnecessarily hazardous to the environment.

Anonymous said...

I agree but have you tasted the tap water? Yuck.

Life As I Know It Now said...

My well water tastes just fine. Had the board of health test it last year because a neighbor was dumping out chemicals by the road and I reported it. They got a slap on the wrist and so I made them test our water to be sure it wasn't being contaminated by the jerk neighbor. It came out (they said) 99.9% pure. Nothing is 100%. My daughter comes home to visit and the first thing she does is drink some water. She says the water everywhere she has lived since leaving home just sucks. She can't stand it so she buys bottled water.

Anonymous said...

Just remember: Evian spelled backwards is Naive.