Monday, October 06, 2008

Protesting Blackwater


"There is no place in the American force structure, or in American culture for mercenaries, they are guns for hire; No more, no less."
-Marshall Adame, former State Dept official in Iraq


"Blackwater appears to have fostered a culture of shoot first and sometimes kill, and then ask the questions." -Rep. Elijah Cummings

Section 4 - COALITION PROVISIONAL AUTHORITY ORDER NUMBER 17 (REVISED)

3) Contractors shall be immune from Iraqi legal process with respect to acts performed by them…

"I saw them shoot people, I saw them crash into cars while I was their passenger. There was absolutely no reason, no provocation whatsoever." -Marshall Adame, former State Dept. official in Iraq

"I think that what needs to happen is that Erik Prince needs to become a more frequent visitor to Capitol Hill than his industry lobbyists have been over the past several years, and his visits should always begin with his right hand raised and cameras in front of him." -Jeremy Scahill

"I think this election really sends a strong message," Lutz said. "This is the first time the public has been able to stand up and say no to this group (Blackwater)."
-Raymond Lutz

"When used with cardboard and paint, an overhead projector is like having a printing press for billboards." -Scarlet P.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weren't you planning on joining a similar operation? Why are you protesting now?

Jim White said...

Here's a doctor in Florida who has taken freeway blogging to a whole new level:

http://oxdown.firedoglake.com/diary/508

Freewayblogger said...

Hi anonymous, these were done by San Diego residents, not me. In general I don't approve of protesting companies like Blackwater because so long as the GOP's in charge, they can just hunt you down and kill you.

Truly Free Speech doesn't happen until the Dems are in charge.

Anonymous said...

So was this a similar company to the one you almost joined?

Freewayblogger said...

Naah... I was a simple Rhodesian ranch guard during the fall. Went on from there to work for EO in Angola/Mozambique and then some smaller outfits doing rural pacification projects in Guatemala and El Salvador. Of course, I was young then, and also a big Reagan supporter. For some reason this made it easier to kill people who were, let's face it, not only not a threat politically, but literally defenseless as well. Don't know why... something about that smile and can-do attitude the Gipper had... Seems a little odd though now.

Anonymous said...

You said that after 9/11 you spoke to your friend about joining a private military group to fight in Afghanistan. Are you a liar? (I'm guessing you won't answer this).

Freewayblogger said...

Not just a friend, but someone who quite literally owed me their life. As briefly summarized above, mine is a history far from bloodless, and you don't need a degree in psychology to see that my tireless efforts in the peace movement are but a thinly-veiled attempt to work off the karma accrued from my years as a mercenary.

Sadly though, the fact remains that in my time I've had to kill many men like you, in numbers that would make you swoon, and sometimes even before breakfast. In the words of the Immortal Bard: "All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten these poor hands..."

On the other hand, I can thank my extensive mercenary training for the swiftness and stealth with which I'm able to carry out my work on America's freeways. Unfortunately I'm under contractual obligation from both my publisher and the Dept. of Defense to not discuss my work in Afghanistan at this time. Thanks for asking though...

Anonymous said...

I thought you were a teacher, not a mercenary.

Freewayblogger said...

I thought Sarah Palin was Mayor of Wasilla, but now they're saying she's Governor of Alaska!

This world truly is a mystifying place...

Anonymous said...

Shows you how much you know! You can't be both the Mayor AND a Governor at the same time! You silly goose! It must get cold for you at night.

Freewayblogger said...

Okay... now simply apply that reasoning to your original teacher/mercenary conundrum and voila! All will be revealed!

See how easy the simplest things can be if you just put your mind to them?

Anonymous said...

How were you able to find time to kill while simultaneously teaching? Did your students not know - they were of college age so I would expect them to figure SOMETHING of your double life? (Obviously you were never a mercenary and are relying on hyperbole to try to make your point). It must get very cold for you.