Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving Day Postings

 I got up before dawn to get this sign up while it was still reasonably dark. It's over twelve feet long and held up with six wire coat hangers, duct tape and some bungee cords. Traffic here (14 lanes by LAX) is usually at a standstill, which is good because, well... it is a lot of reading.
The other side is much more succinct:

 I spent the rest of the morning hitting my usual spots around LA and the Valley and then wended my way up to Ventura for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with family.


 Driving back I saw that pretty much every one of these signs, including the huge one by LAX, were still in place, hopefully inspiring some conversations in cars and around some tables.

 I just bought a hundred of these posters of the Arctic Ocean from space. They measure a little over four feet by four feet and are made from heavy, weatherproof vinyl. While clearly the earth from a distance, it's not entirely obvious that it's a view of the Arctic, so any ideas for appropriately descriptive texts would be greatly appreciated.

Signs placed on the 405, 10, 101 and 110 Thanksgiving Day in Inglewood, Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, Encino, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard and Ventura.








YTD - 950

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I applaud your efforts. Just wondering though about the ecological impact of manufacturing a hundred vinyl posters? Which will no doubt be dumped by the city into a landfill, right? I think paper might be a better way to go next time...(since they're only meant to be temporary anyway - and it's LA, how often does it rain?)

Freewayblogger said...

Paper was my first choice, but for some reason the printer couldn't do paper that size. These will be going up all along the west coast, and possibly some of the east coast as well and will be seen by a LOT of people. All together though the vinyl they use will be less than one or two billboards selling beer in San Bernardino.

Anonymous said...

Hey bud, awesome work. Mc shitty food seems to have done well employing there techniques. Nice to know your on the planet with me.

Karen C. said...

I also applaud your efforts, unfortunately, humans do not respond to gloom and doom tactics. It will take something more catastrophic. Something that is immediate and effects on a more personal level. I do hope that these signs will spark some conversation as you hope they do.

Karen C. said...

I wrote humans but more specifically, Americans.

Lorelei said...

Kudos to you, sir.

Anonymous said...

I preferred your early funny posters.

democommie said...

With any luck at least a few of those posters will wind up adorning someone's home or the side of their barn.

Drastic plastic, indeed!

Re: The photo not being recognizable to some.

"If you live here, you'll be homeless, soon."

end of silence said...

Way to go, Freewayblogger! It's become a corny phrase, but I mean it in it's truest sense -- keep up the good work!

yeskaa said...

well your comment about san bernardino makes me thirsty but is evening and 45 murders so far here s0 ...just how thirst am i really?